Shepherd’s pie is a classic comfort food that is typically made with ground meat and mashed potatoes. However, this recipe puts a vegan twist on the traditional dish by using lentils and sweet potatoes instead.
Not only is this vegan lentil and sweet potato shepherd’s pie recipe delicious, it is also packed with protein, fiber, and vitamins. Lentils are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber, while sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup dry green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large pot, boil the sweet potato until it is tender. Drain and mash the sweet potato, then set it aside.
- In a separate pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the carrots and celery, and cook until they are soft.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the lentils are cooked through and the liquid has been absorbed (about 20-25 minutes).
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a baking dish. Top with the mashed sweet potato.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potato is lightly browned.
This vegan lentil and sweet potato shepherd’s pie recipe is perfect for a cozy night in, or for meal prep for the week. It can also be easily customized with your favorite vegetables or spices. Enjoy!