Indonesian cuisine is known for its rich flavors, and one of the most popular dishes that showcase this is Sate Ayam. This grilled chicken skewer dish is a beloved street food that you can find throughout the country. The combination of tender and juicy chicken, savory peanut sauce, and fragrant spices will leave you wanting more.
Sate Ayam is a perfect representation of the diversity of Indonesian cuisine, with each region having their own take on the dish. Some use chicken breast, while others use chicken thighs, and the marinade and sauce can vary depending on the region.
The dish is traditionally served with lontong (compressed rice cake), sliced cucumber, and shallots. But it can also be enjoyed with rice, or even by itself as a snack.
One of the things that makes Sate Ayam special is the marinade. The chicken is marinated in a mixture of sweet soy sauce, kecap manis, garlic, and other spices such as coriander and cumin. The marinade not only infuses the chicken with flavor but also tenderizes the meat, making it juicy and succulent when grilled.
The chicken is then skewered and grilled over charcoal, giving it a smoky and charred flavor that pairs perfectly with the peanut sauce. The peanut sauce is made from ground roasted peanuts, sweet soy sauce, palm sugar, and chili. It’s creamy, nutty, and slightly sweet with a kick of heat that balances out the savory chicken.
Sate Ayam is a dish that is enjoyed by Indonesians of all ages, and it’s not hard to see why. It’s a delicious and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed any time of day. Whether you’re in the mood for a snack, a meal, or a late-night bite, Sate Ayam is always a good choice.
Sate Ayam, or Indonesian grilled chicken skewers, is one of the most beloved dishes in Indonesia. It is a street food staple that is commonly sold in the evenings by street vendors, and can also be found in many restaurants and cafes across the country. Sate Ayam is a must-try for anyone visiting Indonesia, and it’s also a great dish to make at home.
- 1 lb chicken breast or thigh meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 10-15 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- Combine the sweet soy sauce, soy sauce, vegetable oil, tamarind paste, brown sugar, cumin, coriander, turmeric powder, salt, and black pepper in a bowl to make the marinade.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade, making sure that all pieces are well coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan on medium-high heat.
- Thread the chicken onto the bamboo skewers, leaving a little space between each piece of chicken.
- Grill the skewers for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through and slightly charred.
- Serve hot with peanut sauce and sliced cucumber and onion.
Sate Ayam is a simple dish that packs a ton of flavor. The combination of sweet and savory marinade and the smoky char from the grill makes it an irresistible treat. It’s perfect for a backyard barbecue or a cozy night in, and it’s also a great dish to impress your friends and family with.