How to Make Savory and Delicious Okonomiyaki
Okonomiyaki is a savory Japanese pancake that’s a popular street food in Japan. It’s made with a variety of ingredients, including cabbage, meat or seafood, and a batter made of flour, water, and eggs. Here’s how to make it:
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cooked bacon or pork belly
- 1/4 cup chopped cooked shrimp or other seafood
- 1/4 cup tenkasu (crispy tempura batter bits)
- 1/4 cup okonomiyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Aonori (dried green seaweed flakes)
- Katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
- In a large bowl, mix together the sliced cabbage, flour, water, eggs, baking powder, and salt until a thick batter forms.
- Stir in the chopped scallions, cooked bacon or pork belly, cooked shrimp or other seafood, and tenkasu.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the cabbage mixture to the skillet and spread it out into a round pancake shape, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook the okonomiyaki for about 5-6 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Use a spatula to flip the pancake carefully.
- Once both sides are cooked, transfer the okonomiyaki to a serving plate and drizzle with okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle with aonori and katsuobushi flakes and serve hot.
With these simple steps and quality ingredients, you’ll be able to create a delicious and versatile Japanese okonomiyaki that’s perfect for any meal. Enjoy!