How to Make Perfectly Fluffy Japanese Souffle Pancakes
Japanese souffle pancakes are a fluffy, airy twist on traditional pancakes that have taken the internet by storm. While they may look intimidating to make, with a few simple ingredients and some expert tips, you can create your own stack of perfectly fluffy pancakes at home. Here’s how:
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter, for cooking
- Maple syrup and fruit, for serving
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, flour, cornstarch, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this will cause the pancakes to deflate.
- Heat a non-stick pan over low heat and add a small amount of butter. Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan for each pancake.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the pancake is golden brown on the bottom and the top is set but still jiggly.
- Using a spatula, carefully flip the pancake and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter to the pan as needed.
- Serve the pancakes warm with maple syrup and your favorite fruit.
By following these steps and being patient with the cooking process, you’ll be able to make your own perfectly fluffy Japanese souffle pancakes in no time. Enjoy!