If you’ve ever wanted to make homemade pasta, but were intimidated by the process, this simple recipe is for you! Making pasta from scratch is easier than you might think, and the results are deliciously rewarding. All you need is a few ingredients, some elbow grease, and a little patience. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to make fresh pasta dough and shape it into your favorite pasta shapes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Measure out your flour and pour it onto a clean work surface. Create a well in the center of the flour mound.
- Crack your eggs into the center of the well and add the olive oil and salt.
- Using a fork, whisk the eggs and slowly start to incorporate the flour from the edges of the well. As you work the flour into the eggs, the mixture will start to come together into a dough.
- Once the dough has come together, knead it by hand for 8-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- After the dough has rested, dust your work surface with flour and roll out the dough using a rolling pin or pasta machine until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Cut the pasta into your desired shape using a knife or pasta cutter. You can make spaghetti, fettuccine, lasagna sheets, or any other shape you desire.
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes, or until al dente. Serve with your favorite sauce and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- For a more flavorful pasta, try using 00 flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- If the dough is too dry, add a teaspoon of water at a time until it comes together.
- If the dough is too wet, add a tablespoon of flour at a time until it becomes workable.
- Be patient when kneading the dough. It takes time for the gluten to develop and the dough to become elastic.