How to Make Delicious Japanese Matcha Ice Cream
Matcha is a finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea leaves that’s a staple in Japanese cuisine. Matcha ice cream is a delicious and refreshing way to enjoy this unique flavor. Here’s how to make it:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a large saucepan, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, and half of the sugar. Heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is just beginning to steam.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, matcha powder, remaining sugar, vanilla extract, and salt until the mixture is pale and slightly thickened.
- Gradually pour the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until fully combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon, about 8-10 minutes. Be careful not to let the mixture boil.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly onto the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Pour the chilled custard into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions, until the ice cream is thick and creamy.
- Transfer the ice cream to a container and freeze for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
- Serve the matcha ice cream scoops and enjoy!
With these simple steps and quality ingredients, you’ll be able to create a delicious and unique Japanese matcha ice cream that will satisfy your sweet tooth. Enjoy!