How to Make Delicious Japanese Curry Rice
Japanese curry rice is a comforting and flavorful dish that’s popular throughout Japan. While it may seem complicated to make, with a few simple ingredients and some expert tips, you can create your own delicious curry rice at home. Here’s how:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces (optional)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2-3 tbsp Japanese curry powder
- 2-3 tbsp butter or vegetable oil
- 2-3 tbsp flour
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Cooked rice, for serving
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the butter or vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chicken (if using) and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Add the carrots and potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the flour is lightly browned.
- Add the curry powder and stir to combine. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and let the curry simmer for about 20-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Add soy sauce, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve the curry over cooked rice.
With these simple steps and quality ingredients, you’ll be able to make a comforting and delicious bowl of Japanese curry rice that will please your taste buds. Enjoy!