Chili is a classic dish that’s perfect for cool nights and game day gatherings. This vegetarian version is packed with protein from beans and tempeh, and it’s easy to make in a slow cooker or on the stove.
To make this hearty vegetarian chili, you’ll need:
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh, crumbled
Start by sautéing the onion, garlic, and peppers until they’re soft. Then add the spices and cook for another minute or two. Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and beans, and bring the chili to a simmer. Finally, add the crumbled tempeh and let the chili cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the tempeh is cooked through.
This vegetarian chili is delicious on its own, or you can serve it with toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, or chopped cilantro. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to five days, or frozen for longer storage.