Oatmeal bowls are a classic breakfast staple, but have you ever tried making them savory instead of sweet? This delicious twist on a traditional breakfast favorite will add some variety to your morning routine and keep you feeling full and satisfied until lunchtime.
Start by cooking your oatmeal in vegetable or chicken broth instead of water. Then, add in your favorite savory toppings, such as sautéed mushrooms and spinach, roasted tomatoes and garlic, or even crispy bacon and fried eggs. Top it all off with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil for extra flavor.
Not only is this breakfast option delicious, it’s also a great way to get in some extra vegetables and protein to start your day off right. Plus, you can customize your toppings to fit your preferences and dietary needs.
Try this savory oatmeal bowl recipe and elevate your breakfast game:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sautéed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sautéed spinach
- 1/4 cup roasted cherry tomatoes and garlic
- 2 slices of crispy bacon, chopped
- 2 fried eggs
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add oats and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until oats are tender and the mixture has thickened.
- Divide the oatmeal between two bowls.
- Top each bowl with the mushrooms, spinach, roasted tomatoes and garlic, bacon, and fried eggs.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.