Macaroni and cheese is a classic comfort food that can be traced back to the 14th century, where it was first mentioned in an Italian cookbook. Since then, it has become a beloved dish around the world, with each culture putting its own spin on this cheesy, creamy pasta.
But there’s nothing quite like a homemade mac and cheese. This recipe is easy to make, with a simple cheese sauce that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the salt, black pepper, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and melted butter and sprinkle over the top of the mac and cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal or a comforting dish to enjoy on a chilly evening, this homemade macaroni and cheese recipe is sure to hit the spot. With its creamy cheese sauce and crispy breadcrumb topping, it’s a classic dish that will never go out of style.