When it comes to Indonesian cuisine, it is hard to miss the rich flavors and aromas that are present in every dish. One such dish that is known for its savory taste and aromatic spices is Bakmi Goreng. This Indonesian fried noodle dish is a popular street food and is also served in many restaurants.
Bakmi Goreng is made using thin yellow noodles that are stir-fried with a variety of meats and vegetables. The dish is then seasoned with a flavorful blend of spices and sauces, giving it a unique taste that is hard to resist. Bakmi Goreng is typically served with a fried egg and garnished with chopped scallions and fried shallots.
The origins of Bakmi Goreng can be traced back to Chinese Indonesian cuisine, which was influenced by the Chinese immigrants who settled in Indonesia centuries ago. Over time, the dish has evolved to include local ingredients and flavors, resulting in a truly unique Indonesian dish.
Bakmi Goreng is a popular Indonesian fried noodle dish that is easy to make and bursting with flavor. The dish typically features thin egg noodles that are stir-fried with vegetables, meats, and a variety of spices and seasonings, resulting in a savory and aromatic dish that is perfect for any occasion.
The dish is thought to have originated in Chinese cuisine, but has since become a staple in Indonesian cuisine and is widely enjoyed throughout the country. Bakmi Goreng can be found in street food stalls, restaurants, and even in households across Indonesia.
- 250g egg noodles
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 100g chicken or pork, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Fried shallots, for serving
- Chili sauce, for serving
- Boil the egg noodles in a large pot of water for 3-4 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallots and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken or pork and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the carrot, red and green bell pepper and continue to stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add the sweet soy sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt, and white pepper and stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes until everything is well combined.
- Push the ingredients to one side of the wok and add the beaten eggs to the other side. Scramble the eggs until cooked through and then mix everything together.
- Add the cooked egg noodles and toss everything together until the noodles are coated in the sauce and heated through.
- Garnish with the spring onions and fried shallots and serve hot with chili sauce on the side.
Bakmi Goreng is a simple yet delicious dish that is perfect for anyone who loves noodles and stir-fries. With its bold flavors and easy preparation, it’s no wonder that this dish has become a favorite throughout Indonesia and beyond.