Arancini, or Italian rice balls, are a beloved dish in Italy and around the world. These crispy, deep-fried balls of rice are typically stuffed with cheese, meat, or vegetables, making them a perfect appetizer or snack.
While arancini are traditionally made with leftover risotto, this recipe puts a unique twist on the classic by using a mixture of rice and quinoa. This adds a slightly nutty flavor and a boost of protein to the dish, making it a healthier option without sacrificing taste.
To make these delicious arancini, start by cooking a cup of rice and a cup of quinoa according to their respective package instructions. Once the rice and quinoa are cooked, mix them together in a large bowl and let cool.
In a separate pan, sauté finely chopped onion and garlic until they are soft and fragrant. Add ground beef and cook until browned, then season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Once the meat is cooked, mix it into the rice and quinoa mixture along with grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
Next, form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a golf ball, and place a small cube of mozzarella cheese in the center of each ball. Roll the balls in flour, then beaten egg, and finally in a mixture of breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese.
Heat a deep fryer or a large pot of oil to 375°F and carefully drop the arancini in a few at a time. Fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside, about 3-5 minutes.
Serve the arancini hot with a side of marinara sauce for dipping, and enjoy the unique twist on this classic Italian dish!
Arancini is a delicious Italian snack that is perfect for any occasion. These crispy, deep-fried rice balls are packed with flavor and are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. If you enjoyed making the classic version of arancini, then you will love this twist on the traditional recipe.
This recipe takes the classic arancini to the next level by adding spinach and cheese. The combination of creamy cheese and flavorful spinach gives these arancini an added depth of flavor that is sure to impress. Here’s how to make them:
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken or vegetable broth to a boil. Add the cooked rice and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- In a separate pan, sauté the onion and garlic until softened. Add the chopped spinach and cook until wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked rice, sautéed spinach and onion, Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Mix well to combine.
- Form the mixture into small balls, about 2 inches in diameter.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the flour and egg. In another shallow dish, place the breadcrumbs.
- Dip each ball in the egg mixture, then roll in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the arancini to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Serve hot and enjoy!
These spinach and cheese arancini are a delicious and unique take on the classic Italian dish. They are perfect as an appetizer or as a main dish, and are sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Give them a try and see for yourself!